Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Onward & Upward

I looked at her said 
"Mama, next time you see me, I'll be graduating from the University of Pennsylvania"
She looked at me, and smiled


2015

After seven semesters of tumult, rifts, pain, grief, depression, laughter, joy, and tears, I have finally made it to my final semester of my undergraduate career. I look back, and instead of being regretful or ashamed of all that I have experienced, I am delighted. I am living. I am alive. Life will continue to teach me and be rough with me. That's okay. For once, I am looking forward and am not crippled by my fear. Yes, I am making adult decisions concerning the next steps of my life. Yes, it is nerve-racking and scary. However, I am ready to charge bravely towards it, as opposed to quivering in a dark corner. I choose to be happy. Starting my year off in church, and walking with Christ since then, I know that I will have a strong start and powerful finish, with a few bumps in the road. It is so important to take the time to look inward, to take the time to rid your life of the poisons and toxins, and to just let go. Personally, I found it difficult to let go of the bitterness and pain that plagued me last year. I realized that as soon as I was ready to take flight, there were things ready to clip my wings. Some of those things being people-- even friends. I spent a lot of time questioning who I was and if the person I stared at in the mirror was just a caricature. It took a lot of time to let go of the pain. It is so easy to dwell in the darkness and feel defeated. Thankfully, I bravely got up, and took steps towards the light, leaving anger, disbelief, doubt, and hopelessness behind. Now, it is not to say that it those are completely gone, but that I have been actively letting pieces of them go, day by day. Life becomes very rewarding when you let go of the negativity. I realized that people float in and out of your life, and it is not your place to question why, or wallow in the pain of their departure. Instead, it is the lesson these individuals and events teach you that you carry with you. That is what you focus on.

So let 2015 be a year where you let go of pain, and let in love. It all starts with you.

Cheers to a kick-ass year

4 comments: