Saturday, March 8, 2014

Opportunities

Been a little while. With the madness that is spring semester of junior year, I'm delighted to say that I've finally found a reprieve. This week (SPRING BREAK WOOOOHOOO), I'll be going down south to explore the history of the civil rights movement. 

I feel so immensely blessed to be apart of this trip.

Alliance and Understanding (AU) has functioned as a cultural dialogue between the historical relationships between minority groups, specifically Blacks and Jews. After a series of lectures ranging from discussions on the non-violence preparations and demonstrations to the role of Jewish women during the Civil rights movement, the program culminates in a spring break trip to Atlanta, Selma, Burmingham, and Montgomery. Once there, we plan to travel through the history of the civil rights movements, visit the various notable sights, and potentienally meet individuals who have experienced the events surrounding the movement. 

I anticipate the trip to be exciting, but also very heavy. We're planning to visit the church that was bombed and the four little girls who perished. Heavy. 

I'm not too sure what to expect but my mind and heart are forever open to whatever may happen. I hope to walk away with a deeper sense of self through learning about others who sacrificed for me. I hope to gain a deeper respect, a deeper understanding. I hope to learn how to engage more actively with history and to always ask questions. I hope to become a leader in discussions about race relations and tensions-- from then and now. 

Lastly, I just hope to make the most of this experience. Besides the fact that I actually have somewhere to go this year, it's actually something meaningful. I'm ready to engage everything fully, holding nothing back. I'm ready to truly feel, and to be unafraid of doing so. 

So with that, let the chronicling begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment